December 29, 2010
|Setting Up Website with Brother Sam|
Started off helping Sam get started with Godaddy hosting service he was trying. On verge of pumping in lots of excellent data.
November 28, 2010
By Dan Allen
From: Dan Allen
Date: Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: Would you like to fix the bold on the bullets?
Calling you now
- Style sheet is attached. To make bullets bold, the style for bullets needs to change. The style for the bullets now is:
font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
My first guess for making it how you want it is to drop the font-size (reverts to default). If that does not bring the bold back, add
to style sheet.
- Putting the style sheet onto your site, using FTP.
- Godaddy provides FTP via web browser.
- Login to Godaddy, navigate to Hosting Manager
- Find FTP Client in the menu
- Upload your file to the correct directory.
- Look at page via browser to observe effect of change.
- Repeat as necessary.
December 27, 2010
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM, <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Can we do it now?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:49:38 -0500
Subject: Would you like to fix the bold on the bullets?
edit the style, load the page onto the site with ftp via Godaddy website? I would be on the phone doing it with you.
From: Dan Allen
Date: Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM
Subject: Dry run database transfer successful
This is one of those hurdles that went easy this time, but has been painful on other occasions. Relief to have this in the rear view mirror.
Next report when I call it a night. At this point, completely successful move to your hosting is in the bag, like a full tank of gas for a run through your favorite stretch of the ride on a perfect day.
From: Dan Allen
Date: Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: Route66MC Site Development December 27, 2010
Daily Status Communication by Email
I had a feeling we should be expecting routes to change, so we are thinking along the same lines regarding having an efficient way to manage them. .
Tonight I am starting to add the branches that go off and then back onto the main route, in accordance with the list you sent. It is not going to be that hard. It is an interesting programming problem, not the most common thing to program, but it is not that hard.
Once we have a way for managing alternate routes, I will set you up with edit screens to manage routes yourself. You will be able to edit/delete existing routes, and create new ones.
Multiple Harley Dealerships per Town
Instead of being part of the town edit page, Harley dealerships will just a new type of attraction, just like the attractions already have (hotels, bars/restaurants, etc.).
We could do the same thing for the chambers, and just enter one chamber per town. That way, both HD dealerships and chambers would come off the town-edit page.
Biker Publications per Town
Another new attraction type. No problem.
For now, I have to add new attraction types that can go onto town pages. Once I add the type, you can enter data, just like you are now.
Similar to the route management, I will setup edit screens so you can create/edit/delete new types of attractions yourself.
Rallies "in" vs. "to"
Is there any reference about rally "to" a town, other than the button for adding the rally data to the town town data?
Is anyone besides you and me going to see the button for adding data to a town?
Club data - name and website only
Is there a problem with just leaving the unused fields blank on the data entry form?
Adding and controlling music loop is no different than anything else. It is easy to do lots of things and there are infinite complications, all depending on what you want exactly and how flexible you are. For instance, if you have to have a certain sound track that you heard 10 years ago, but we cannot find now, that obviously is hard. If you can get an mp3 or other standard file of a sound track, that makes it easy. If we are embedding soundtrack owned and tightly controlled by someone else, we are at their mercy, but it can work, depending on their practices.. One sound track is easy, 10-20 is a little more complicated, 1000 probably is going to involve some industrial measures, similar to photos.
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM, <email@example.com>
I have a few thoughts on how we should proceed and also some comments on your e-mail. First my thoughts:
- I think we should try to communicate at least by e-mail every day give each other status reports.
- I have entered directions, both East and West, for all the towns that are in proper sequence. For me to finish those descriptions, we need to decide: the routes we are going to describe. I don't know how hard it is to make revisions to those routes, but it sounds like it's quite a task.I suspect the routes will change a couple of times so we need to get a procedure to minimize that effort.
- In the town profiles I would like to be able to list multiple Harley Davidson dealerships. Many towns have several dealerships and all of them should be listed .
- I would like to add a line item in thetown profile lists for "Biker Publications". Sometimes owns have newsletters and the like that advertise upcoming local biker events. It would be good to include reference to these publications on our site.
- When making reference to rallies, it should refer to rallies "in" rather than rallies "to" a particular city.
- When listing motorcycle clubs, the only information we will need is the name of the club nd the link to thei website, if they have one clubs do not have phone numbers, addresses or anything like that.
- Would it be hard to and musical loop with famousRoute 66 songs?
Here are a few comments to your e-mail:
- It's great that you and Mlissa seem to be on track, and I'm sure you'llrack down Jimbob sooner or later
- The rating of different hotels and the like for quality is a great idea, but let's not set that up yet. I'm afraidI'm goingb to be overwhelmed just trying to make it from one end to the othe may not be able to spend enough time to make meaningful ratings. During the trip turns out I can do that, then we can make appropriate revisions .
- I'll take a bunch of pictures, but maybe easier just to get permission to use some good ones.
Give a call tonight if you get a chance.
From: Dan Allen
Date: Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Subject: Route66MC Site Development December 27, 2010
Monitoring for domain transfer completion. Need to setup firstname.lastname@example.org through Godaddy. Then need to move site from my hosting to Sam's.
Right now, the site is vulnerable, because anyone going to the site can edit it. Fixing that immediately.
Melissa and I are getting together next week to look at site and start working out how to make maps work for site. Right after that, will need conference call with Sam and Jimbob for general discussion about maps and the site/book.
Melissa is up to speed on the team profile concept for the site. She is ok with bio, but reaffirmed that there will not be a picture of her on the site.
Jimbob is MIA, I am in pursuit.
Tonight I will start working with new town data load. Also will reverse east/west directions on town template.
Regarding attractions (hotels, bars/restaurants, MC clubs, etc.), I have an idea for making them look a lot better in the listings on town pages. Instead of just the name of each attraction, should plan to add stars for rating, and key words associated with each place. So, instead of just the list of hotels in the order of position on the route, would have unique descriptor/tagline for each attraction. Will make listing more interesting.
Regarding color scheme, I am thinking the color scheme of the site should vary by position on the route. I think we can set it up so the computer calculates gradual changes from, say blue in Chicago, toward green/tan for midwest, toward red/brown for desert, to turquoise for Santa Monica.
Definitely need lots of pictures from the two termini of the route. Lake Michigan, Lake Shore Drive, Santa Monica Pier, etc..
This update posted to my project journal.
December 16, 2010
link to site (login required)
Team coming together. Artist, map person, Sam, and me. Sam setting up funding for the help we need.
November 29, 2010
link to site (login required)
Text from the pdf is loaded. I still have to type set it into pages. It won't take too much longer, I f'd around on this getting started tonight.
Started dabbling in colors. My perception is we want to invoke Harley but also other brands.Â Starting with black background.
This isn't for pussies, this site or show, is that right? Not that we insult them publicly, but no guys in pink, no pussy-whipped lame d!cks shuffling down the sidewalk with b!tchy wife and too many babies. There might be guys talking about that on the ride, but that is not the type of image we show.
We are black, red, maybe some dark green, dark orange. No dirt bikes either, right?
When you are ready to login, let me know.
November 28, 2010
If you can find a minute, I want to show you what Wordpress is, because it is a simple way to see a lot about how websites work.
Will take only a few minutes, just look around these links a little, especially the login to my wordpress demo. When you login, check out how to add pages and posts. Feel free to add a few if you want. You won't damage anything. I have a backup of the site in case you delete it. Do whatever you want, get as much idea as you can as to what Wordpress is about. Not about what I have on my demo site, but about how Wordpress works, what it does.
Wordpress home page
My wordpress demo
Login to my wordpress demo:
I am building your site to work a lot like Wordpress, but easier for us to work with.
November 28, 2010
Moving the construction area for route66mc to this address.
Reason for change is other address had a reference to red sox, whom I know you hate. So, I moved the construction into danallen.com. The other place I had it is the race track. They both work the same, just a naming thing. Once we get the domain setup, I will move this to your Godaddy hosting.
For your amusement and wonder, and questions if you have them, which I hope you do, I am attaching a zip file containing the folders and files that constitute the construction kit for your website.
What Godaddy provides, at low cost, is empty spots on the internet, at addresses of our choosing. route66mc is getting built from scratch as a custom site. The attached file kit is my collection for building a new site. This tool kit is what allows it to come together not only quickly, but exactly how you want it.
It's easy to make a decent website. You, Sam, can do it 5 minutes at blogger.com. The trick in what I am doing for you is we have total control of every pixel on the screen, unlike most websites. Being able to do this type of work rapidly is what makes it fun. Not fun enough that I want to do it for other people's sites every waking hour, but fun enough that I love doing it for sites that are mine, which, at least till we get much further down the road, this site is.. it is mine, I am making it for you and giving it you with no strings of any kind, hoping you like it. If you embrace it as yours, it will have been a wonderful experience together. If it makes us a nickel, that will be a kick. If it makes us lots of dollars, that will be a blast! Wonderful experience is good enough for me, but I am going for blast.
See you down the worldwide web woad. I mean road.
My next step is to turn the 18-page pdf show description into a series of web pages. Obviously, that is just one of the many angles that need work, but I am thinking that one will give us the most to work with the fastest.
October 21, 2010
Mission II Ranking
- Setting up your new hosting account. You already have bought the thing, so you would think it would be setup already. It is party setup, not completely.DONE
- Verify that you and I are getting the same signal from your web host. When you go to http://olemissato.com/ now, you should see a photo of Mom SAM will let me know
- Replace the parking page with a page of ours, blank at first, then add whatever.DONE
Might want to consider purchasing a 2nd domain for use as the holding domain. Makes the 3rd and successive domains easier to manage on your deluxe hosting account.
- Install a few of the potentially relevant applications that come with your Godaddy hostingDONE
- Regarding email, there is something to know about email. You probably already know in a way, but this is important to internalize when using domains for communication. Email with domain names are cool. There is a single point that confuses everyone, the distinction between email forwarding and email BOXES. The main thing you want in your email box is you want only 1 that never overfills. All other email should be forwarding accounts, that send to that one box, but do not hold mail. In addition, you want to be able to send mail from that one box using all those different email addresses.
So, that said, you might want to setup email address for yourself at this domain, or not. If you do, you want it to be a forwarding account, not a mailbox. Up to you. DONE
- Make links on http://olemissato.com/ that go to each of the applications we setup on your godaddy hosting. DONE
- Deal with FTP and file upload. Sam brought this up right on schedule
Why it is simple in principle but happens always to present pains in the ass. My job is to minimize your pain as we setup file upload, and insure the final product meets with your high satisfaction. I always warn people about the inevitability of pain in initializing file upload on a new server or hosting account. It's always easy to get it working to a degree. The hassles come in handling large files, which everyone always encounters, usually sooner than later. Smaller files usually fire up after figuring out a few tweaks to make. One of the main reasons for using pre-installed systems like the ones Godaddy provides is to handle small file uploads. The large file uploads usually require changing parameters in the host web server system. Godaddy provides ways for doing all this. I will show you all you want to see of this. There should be no mystery to you whatsoever.
as of: January 12, 2012 4:40 PM